June 26, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Copper Development Association Recognizes 19 Outstanding Projects
McLean, VA— From designing a striking new academic building in Denver, to restoring a classic Stanford White building in the Bronx, to bringing accessibility to the historic University College in Toronto, architects and contractors who completed 19 outstanding projects across the United States and Canada won awards from the Copper Development Association (CDA) in the 16th annual edition of its North American Copper in Architecture (NACIA) program.
“This year’s winners applied the beauty of copper to a wide variety of building types,” said Larry Peters, project manager at CDA. “Copper fulfills an amazing variety of practical and aesthetic functions. The work of these architects and building professionals shows why copper’s adaptability sets the highest standard for sustainable roofs, cornices, cladding, wall systems, and decorative ornamentation.”
For custom fabrication, winners include the following:
- An innovation hub in Richmond, Virginia, the Engineering Research Lab at Virginia Commonwealth University by architects Goody Clancy and Baskervill with metal construction by Tektonics Design Group
- A compelling and inventive solution for accessibility at University College in Toronto, Ontario, designed by architects KOHN SHNIER and ERA Architects, Inc., in association, featuring copper cladding by Cladco Limited
- A peaceful, private monument in Falls Church, Virginia, with metal construction by Wiemann Metalcraft and project management by Coldspring
- Creative rethinking of a common building application at IT Gym in Arlington Heights, Illinois, with metal fabrication by Sheet Metal Werks, Inc.
For new construction, winners include the following:
- A striking bronze clad residence, 3131 CBR in Washington, D.C., designed by David Jameson Architect, Inc., with construction by Metal Specialties, Inc.
- The LEED Platinum-rated Burwell Center for Career Achievement in Denver, Colorado, designed by Lake | Flato Architects with executive architects Shears Adkins Rockmore Architects (SAR+), featuring construction by Roof Check, Inc.
- The LEED Silver-rated Dairy Market in Charlottesville, Virginia, designed by Cunningham | Quill Architects, featuring Zahner custom pre-patinated copper fabricated into wall panels by IMETCO
- An extraordinary mountain retreat, DNA Alpine House in San Miguel County, Colorado, designed by CCY Architects with metal work by Stone Ridge Roofing and Siding
- Grinnell College Humanities and Social Studies Center in Grinnell, Iowa, designed by Page Southerland Page, Inc., with metal work by Exterior Sheet Metal, Inc.
- University of Denver Community Commons in Denver, Colorado, designed by Moore Ruble Yudell Architects & Planners with executive architects Anderson Mason Dale Architects, featuring metal construction by Douglass Colony Group
- Center for the Arts in Crested Butte, Colorado, designed by Steinberg Hart with metal work by Black Dragon Development
For restoration, winners include the following:
- The revival of Gould Memorial Library, a classic Stanford White building at Bronx Community College in the Bronx, New York, led by architects Beyer Blinder Belle Architects and Planners LLP with restoration and fabrication work by Nicholson & Galloway, Inc., and Heather + Little Ltd.
- Completion of a dome atop the iconic Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in New York, New York, led by Ennead Architects with construction by Nicholson & Galloway, Inc.
- Re-roofing Dawson College Kindergarten in Montréal, Québec, led by TLA Architectes and contractor Toitures Trois Étoiles
- Restoring a Beaux Arts gem, the Martin County Courthouse in Fairmont, Minnesota, led by architects ISG with construction by Renaissance Historic Exteriors
- Reviving Saint-Hyacinthe Public Market in Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec, led by Affleck de la Riva, architectes, with metal construction by Couverture Montréal Nord
- Upgrading the Studio Building in Portland, Oregon, led by Hennebery Eddy Architects, Inc., with metal work by Harder Mechanical Contractors
- Rehabilitating the dome of the U.S. Naval Academy Chapel in Annapolis, Maryland, led by BELL Architects, PC, with metal work by Prospect Waterproofing Company and CopperCraft
- Performing a seismic upgrade and re-roofing Heritage Hall in Vancouver, British Columbia, led by McGinn Engineering & Preservation with metal construction by Grist Slate & Tile Roofing, Inc.
The NACIA awards, launched in 2008, celebrate design excellence, recognize quality craftsmanship, and highlight diverse uses of copper in architectural applications. Winning projects illustrate the wide appeal of copper, from careful restoration of historical and cultural landmarks; to innovative, experimental new structures; to custom-fabricated elements that showcase extraordinary craftsmanship from contractors and installers across North America.
Judges consider each submission for the presence and use of copper within the building, the quality of its installation and function, and the beauty and significance of the project overall. Full details and photos of the 2023 winners are now featured in the portfolio of architectural projects on CDA’s website.